Sunday, February 12, 2012

Read-outs: Reading practice club at the library!

We've started a practice reading group at our Youth Services department. Kids from grades 1st to 3rd come to the library and have a snack while we librarians read to them. Then it's time to switch things up and have the kids read with us using a reader's theater script. My first club meeting was "Rapunzel" themed. I read to them the Grimm's version and then, Falling for Rapunzel by Leah Wilcox. I had prepared a very silly short script for them to take turns choosing characters and reading the parts. It was great fun. I broke up the reading with an online "Wacky Web Tales" activity where the kids created their own story by filling in the words from different parts of speech. I think having them directly participate in making up a story of their own to read was very empowering for them!

No comments:

Post a Comment